Photo credit: Alistair Tutton Photography
North Kansas City Schools placed an emphasis on high indoor environmental quality through equipment design, materials selection, and on-site procedures.
The design team specified low-emitting materials such as adhesives and sealants, paints and coatings, and flooring. The team also physically separated chemical use areas (like labs and janitor’s closets) and provided independent exhaust ventilation for those spaces. The mechanical engineers addressed thermal comfort by designing the facility to meet the requirements of ASHRAE Standard 55. They designed a permanent temperature and humidity monitoring system by providing each classroom with its own thermostat, CO2, and humidity sensor and large multi-occupant spaces with multiple thermostatic/humidity controls.
The construction manager implemented a successful Construction Indoor Air Quality Management Plan. They utilized high efficiency temporary filters during construction and installed higher efficiency filters after construction was complete. In addition, they employed other HVAC protection, source control, pathway interruption, housekeeping, and scheduling strategies to sustain the comfort and well-being of workers and occupants.
The Operation & Maintenance Department expanded on its custodial mission of delivering exceptionally clean and sanitary environments by implementing a green cleaning program for Staley High School—a first for the district. Staff also developed maintenance practices and a schedule for the care of walk-off mats placed at each regular entry point in the building.
Entry of Pollutants
- Design entry to facilitate removal of dirt before entering building
- Provide occupants with the means to control temperature in their area
Visual Comfort and Light Sources
- Use electronic ballasts with fluorescent lighting
Ventilation and Filtration Systems
- Specify ventilation rates that meet or exceed ASHRAE Standard 62-1999
Elimination of Indoor Pollutants
- Specify low-mercury fluorescent lamps
Ventilation During Construction
- Provide temporary filters on any permanent air-handling devices used during construction
Building Commissioning for IEQ
- Commission the mechanical and electrical systems prior to occupancy
- Use a comprehensive commissioning process to ensure that design intent is realized
Maintenance for IEQ
- Specify use of only nontoxic cleaning products
Facility Policies for IEQ
- Recommend a non-smoking policy for the building
- Entry of Pollutants